With the October heat making its presence felt already, there’s nothing like cooling off with a pint of beer. However, beer is an acquired taste and not everyone likes the bitter notes of the beverage.
Here are a few ways in which you can enjoy a glass of beer, albeit with a twist:
1) Orangeer: Easy to make and super yummy. Take half a glass of light beer and add orange juice to it. If you are one of those who like your orange juice with bits of the fruit, add the pulpy kind.
2) Shandy: Another easy drink and one of the most popular beer cocktails around the world. All you need to do is – mix a fizzy lemon drink like Sprite or 7-up in equal quantities with your beer. Not only is this drink extremely refreshing, it is also perfect for the lightweight who cannot hold more than one drink.
3) Spicy Surprise: Love Tobasco and cannot imagine life without it? Then this drink is for you! Simply add a small quantity of Tobasco sauce at the bottom of your glass and top it off with your preferred beer. The spicy hints of the sauce along with the bitter kick of beer makes for an amazing and moreish combination.
4) Black Velvet: The Black Velvet is the perfect way to grab a beer at a fancy black-tie dinner. Created in the late 1800’s in Ireland, the Black Velvet is champagne topped with Guinness Stout. If you like a dark beer, you will definitely enjoy this drink.
5) Hangman’s Blood: Anthony Burgess, who is renowned for his novel ‘A Clockwork Orange’, created this drink in the 1960’s. Mix-up gin, rum, whiskey, champagne and top it off with Stout. Definitely not for the faint-hearted! Drink with caution, we say. You also might start talking like Yoda. Just saying.
6) Watermelon Beer Cocktail: If you like your beer sweet and pretty, this is the drink for you. Take fresh watermelon and blend it till it’s a smooth paste. To this add your favourite beer. Sit back and enjoy your mini vacation.
7) Chocolateer: Take your favourite medium or dark ale and pour a small quantity of chocolate sauce on top. This makes a great post-meal combination of drink and dessert! Definitely a win-win.
Even if you are a traditionalist and often go for your beer straight from the bottle, you should definitely try out some of these cocktails to find out how versatile your favourite drink can be.