If there is one thing that is universally loved across the world it has to be pizza. However, weight watchers often shy away from this comfort food due to its high-calorie count. Though, with a little ingenuity even something like pizza can be made healthy.
Check out these unique and healthy pizza crust options. (Of course go easy on the toppings)
1) Cauliflower pizza crust: A sneaky way to get your pepperoni-pizza loving family to eat more veggies, the cauliflower base has recently become very popular. All you need to do is overcook the cauliflower, mash it up and add some egg and Parmesan to bind it. Mix it and flatten it on a baking tray to resemble a pizza base. Top it up with your favourite toppings and bake. Yummy yet healthy!
2) Mixed grain pizza: Follow the regular process of making pizza dough but with mixed grain flour instead of Maida (white flour). The flavour will be equally awesome without the same amount of calories. Top it with mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers or just about any toppings of your choice.
3) Eggplant or Bottle Gourd pizza: Since both these veggies can have a wide circumference they make a great base for a mini pizza. Slice them horizontally and make a disk-shaped base. Top it off with toppings and cheese and bake for some healthy and delectable goodness. These little goodies also make for the perfect appetisers for a house party.
4) Frittata pizza: Frittata itself is a type of pizza-like omelette. Imagine how great would it be to have a frittata topped with your favourite pizza toppings and baked again. Best of both worlds! If you want to go even healthier, make the Frittata with egg whites instead of whole eggs.
5) Roti pizza: Perfect for the lazy baker who wants to get rid of leftover rotis and yet have something unique for a meal. Place the rotis into a muffin tray and fill with meat and (little) cheese. Trim excess roti from the top of the tray and let this bake till the cheese melts. Roti is definitely a healthier choice as compared to your regular pizza dough. You can also stack it up with the healthy veggies and shredded grilled chicken.
6) Oatmeal pancake pizza: Make a simple pancake batter, replacing the white flour with oatmeal or even whole meal sans the sugar. Pour the batter on a pan to make a regular pancake. Before you flip over to cook the other side, add the toppings. Flip over and cook. Flip back and add cheese and cover it to let the cheese melt. How good is it to have two amazing dishes together?
These are just a few options to help you get started with your own healthy pizza experimentation. Essentially you can use anything that can be flattened and hardens as it bakes (think mashed vegetables, sweet potatoes or even Quinoa).
And just in case it is cheat day today, go all out with the Pizza Week by WowTables. Being celebrated in Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore this experience guarantees you the best pizzas in town at pocket-friendly prices.