A lot of people who’ve tasted sake love it, but have trouble ordering it at restaurants because
a. Sake isn’t very common
b. Most restaurants have a very small selection
c. The servers usually are clueless about sake.
So here is a mini guide on how to order sake like an ace!
1. Japanese sake is the best: When you’re ordering sake in a restaurant, make sure it’s a Japanese brand, because experts agree that Japan makes the best sake. Momokawa is a well – known brand and is said to be one of the best.
2. If you like wine, try Junmai ginjo sakes. They are the most wine – like and will make it easier for you to adjust to sake by starting with something familiar.
3. If you’re ordering sake at a sushi bar, speak to the chef. Sushi chefs usually know more about sake than the servers.
4. Sake is usually served in wooden boxes. However, this changes the taste and makes sake taste like wood. Request the server to bring your sake in a wine glass.
5. Sake tastes best cold! There’s nothing wrong with hot sake, but you can enjoy the flavour best when it’s cold.
So here are five tips to order sake like an ace and enjoy it to the fullest! Have fun with your sake experience!